Based in the Kimberley district in the central part of South Africa, the Diamond Capital of the World, Hunt the Sun offers several concession areas across South Africa. South Africa is home to a large number of trophy species, and each are hunted in their naturally occurring habitat. Hunting is based on ethical fair chase and tailor made to suit your needs.
Your hunt will be strategically planned to suit your needs, allowing you to experience both the thrill of the chase and also to reflect on each day’s adventure - usually in front of a crackling log fire with a glass of South Africa’s finest wines.
Mike Birch, owner of Hunt The Sun, is a biologist and game biologist. He worked for government Nature Conservation managing protected areas such as veld management, game capture, eco tourism, and trophy hunting. He also oversaw far-reaching projects such as the breeding and introduction of Black Rhino and Buffalo to their natural protected areas where they once roamed.
MIke's wife Natalie has a PhD in rangeland ecology. Mike and Natalie's combined experience plus a team of highly competent professional hunters and support staff garuntee your time spent in the veld with Hunt The Sun will always be fun and entertaining as well as educational; a perfect opportunity not only to hunt, but also experience the African bush.
Family groups are welcome at Hunt The Sun, and tours can be arranged and customized to fit your needs. Some popular tour options: Cape Town, Garden Route, Kruger National Park, Addo Elephant Park, and many more. Tours can be scheduled before or after your hunt.
While hunting every effort is taken to visit interesting sites along the way, should you wish to explore, but hunting time is the top priority.
We offer a home away from home, where you will experience the best of what Africa has to offer.
We guarantee you a warm bed, hot shower and scrumptious meals daily. Bottled water is available at all camps.
We make an effort to expose you to the surrounding areas including meeting and interacting with the local people.
This quality safari experience, and the steady return of satisfied clients, is testimony to our success.
- Northern Cape Camp: Situated an hour’s drive from the Kimberley airport, this camp offers comfortable to luxurious accommodations. It is described as an oasis in the dry African savannah with thorn trees and grassy plains supporting large herds of plains game.
- Eastern Cape Camps: There are camps within a 2-hour drive from the Port Elizabeth Airport in the Eastern Cape. These camps provide accommodations for hunting in the sharp contrast of dense thicket.
- Mpumalanga Bushveld Camp: This camp is about a 5-hour drive north of the OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg. It borders the famous Kruger National Park and offers exciting wilderness hunting experiences.
Hunting seasons are which time of the year you will find which species to hunt.
Some more information here about why hunting seasons are important to consider before choosing your next hunting experience.
1. Safari Excellence: Hunt The Sun offers an African hunting experience with expertise and infrastructure to ensure excellence.
2. Customized Hunting: They customize hunts for different types of hunters, whether first-timers or dedicated collectors.
3. African Knowledge: They share their knowledge of the African veld and allow interactions with local people in different hunting areas.
4. Trophy Species: South Africa is home to a large number of trophy species that can be hunted in their natural habitat.
5. Ethical Fair Chase: Hunting is based on ethical fair chase principles.
6. Variety of Species: Hunt The Sun operates in multiple concession areas, providing a wide variety of species to hunt.
7. Accommodation Options: Accommodation ranges from very comfortable to ultra luxury.
8. Non-hunting Activities: Hunt The Sun offers non-hunting activities like horseback riding safaris, golfing, and visiting national parks.